Thursday, June 9, 2011

This is the Chandelier Swing





 So... I decided to name my blog after a song by the Chicago Band Braid. Braid is a band I have been listening to since I was around 18 years old. Unfortunately Braid broke up a few years ago but this August they are having a reunion show here in Chicago at the Metro. I am super stoked about that!

Here are the lyrics...

this is the chandelier swing

watch you sleeping
try hard not to walk away
cause i haven't got anything to say
when you wake
with nothing in our heads
but an idea
of what we should be
what we could be

swing closer

catching ourselves
from close up
i think we're the same
and we've met our match

the chandelier swing

so cover yourself with whatever
cover your eyes
cause it's not right
you say "it's not what it should be"
but it could be
you know i think a lot like you

swing away

it's not like you had before
when you were two years younger
my age
i wait for you

I'd assume this song's vague nature is intentional, and any attempt to come to any specific meaning or story is fraught with folly. The fluidity allows it to be applicable to a variety of situations across a multitude of lives. That to me is talented lyricism.

I believe the pairing of the words Chandelier and Swing are very beautiful. It could be used as a metaphor for the constant change that comes with being in any kind of relationship. Sometime you swing high and closer to that person and then sometimes you swing low and further apart. In any case this song is musically divine. A true masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment